Source of Life, we are sorry for being so careless with our plastic bags, bottle caps, water bottles, and Styrofoam cups. We have played a lamentable part in harming and even causing the death of sea turtles, seals, and other marine mammals. Forgive us for our selfish obsession with pleasing ourselves and paying no attention to the consequences of our actions.
Report: An article in National Geographic charts the growth of garbage accumulations in the ocean. The largest is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. No one knows how much debris makes up this swirling vortex since not all trash floats to the surface. About 80% comes from land-based activities in North America and Asia. The remaining 20% comes from boaters, offshore oil rigs, and large cargo ships that dump or lose debris into the water.
The most toxic thing in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is plastic from bags, bottle caps, water bottles, and Styrofoam cups. They do not biodegrade but instead break into small pieces. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch puts many marine animals at risk who eat the plastic mistaking it for food. In addition, this trash blocks the sunlight from reaching plankton and algae below. (National Geographic Education